Heritage Village: Roca Depot
Unfortunately, very little historical data is available on the Roca Railroad Depot building itself. It is believed to have been constructed before the turn of the century, around 1872 to 1876, and was a typical uninsulated wooden structure of the period. Perhaps more important than the physical building in historical perspective, is the significant role the railroad played in the development of the area.
The railroad functioned as the "lifeblood" of the new territories, opening up what had previously been wilderness and stimulating commerce by making good and services readily accessible.
The Roca Depot was closed in the 1950's and the building sold to Mr. Elmer Block, who donated it to Nebraska State Fair Park in 1976.
Many of the artifacts on display inside the depot were either donated by the Burlington Northern Railroad or are on loan from the Nebraska State Historical Society and several private collections.