Heritage Village: Hudson Cabin
The Hudson Cabin, as it is now known, had great and glorious beginnings and is the oldest known structure in Lincoln and Lancaster County. In 1863, Thomas Jefferson Hudson and his family arrived in Lancaster County. At that time, there were only three neighborhood families and the nearest market was in Nebraska City. Near where the village of Lancaster (later renamed Lincoln) was to be founded, they built their log cabin. It was described as being "the grandest dwelling in the counted," constructed of oak logs hauled over 20 miles, with shingles from McKissik's island, south of Nebraska City.
Hudson became successful as a farmer, establishing a fine herd of dairy cows. After the village of Lincoln came to be, he was the first to deliver dairy products to the door of the housewife. He remained here until his death in 1902.
Originally constructed in the vicinity of 9th & Lake Streets, the cabin was later moved to 2236 South 9th Street. The log cabin was covered with siding and after later additions was "lost" inside the renovated house.
It was "rediscovered" in 1964 by the new owners during a remodeling of the house. In order to save the building from destruction, it was purchased by Mayor Dean Peterson and donated to the city of Lincoln. In 1974, it was given to the State Historical Society and reconstructed in Nebraska State Fair Park.